Kluge says Kopechne attended the party because it was ultimately a thank-you for the women’s work on the Kennedy campaign a year earlier. Look noted that it was a black sedan and that the letter on its license plate was L. There were two persons in the front and another, or possibly a coat, in the rear. 0000123240 00000 n

When he was 25 to 30 feet (7.6 to 9.1 m) away, the car reversed and started backing up towards him. It is a deplorable accident, but commonplace, one that might have occurred on any summer night in any resort in a country whose casualties from automobiles exceed those from wars. But when they convened in April 1970, they were lectured for an hour by Superior Court Judge Wilfred J. Paquet, who had come down from Boston to keep them in line. An autopsy was never conducted. With a Roman Catholic priest at his side, Paquet told the jurors they were completely "subservient" and that he would permit no appeal of his rulings.

The Kopechne family did not bring any legal action against him but did receive a payment of $90,904 from him personally and $50,000 from his insurance company. He said he didn't see the 10 1/2-foot-wide bridge until "a fraction of a second" before he got to it and he did't notice that a sharp left-angle turn was required to get onto the bridge until it was too late. [70], Kennedy explained that his wife did not accompany him to the regatta due to "reasons of health".

His attorneys argued that any jail sentence should be suspended, and the prosecutors agreed by citing his age (37), character, and prior reputation. LaRosa and the Lyons sisters corroborated Look's testimony about meeting him in the road and the verbal exchange, but they were unsure of the time. Dinis met with Edgartown District Court Judge James Boyle on August 8 to explain his reasons for requesting the inquest. The senator has insisted that Look was mistaken, that the deputy might have seen the rented white Valiant that Kennedy, Markham and Gargan took to Dike Bridge after the accident in hopes of rescuing Kopechne.

Then he took a few steps and dove into the water, leaving Markham and I expecting that he would carry out the conversation."[89]. There was no guarantee in my mind that a book would result. After Kennedy's death, New York Times Magazine editor Ed Klein stated that Kennedy asked people, "Have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick?" During the ’68 campaign, Kopechne was tasked with counting the candidate’s Northeast delegates and typing speeches. Paul Markham was backing me up on it. The inquest was closed to the press and public by order of the Massachusetss Supreme Judical Court on a petition by Kennedy's lawyers.The state's high court also decreed that the records of the inquest could not be made public as long as Kennedy faced any danger of criminal charges. The court: Were you looking ahead at the time you were driving the car, at that time? "I was insistent on it. The three were all lawyers, and they discussed what they should do while standing next to a public phone booth at the landing. During the three hours Kennedy spent at the station he tried repeatedly to reach Burke Marshall, his brother Bobby’s former chief of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division. "In my personal view, the inferences and ultimate findings of the judge's report are not justified and I reject them.

Chief Arena, now head of the police and fire departments in Lincoln, Mass., likes to finesse the chronological controversy these days by saying that the accident happened "sometime between 11:30 p.m. and 12:45 a.m." He points out that Sylvia A. Malm, a college student who was staying at the cottage nearest Dike Bridge, heard a car going by fairly fast, apparently in the direction of the bridge, sometime between 11:15 and 11:45 p.m. while she was reading in her bed.

Donald Frederick Nelson read the stories about Chappaquiddick in 1969 and felt, like many, that Sen. Edward M. Kennedy’s telling of the accident that killed campaign worker Mary Jo Kopechne just didn’t add up. There was no elaboration.

0000001639 00000 n Kennedy replied that he had been talking about Martha's Vineyard. But he still admits to no doubts that it was 12:20 a.m. "I was very conscious of time at the moment," he told CBS in another interview. Suspicions that he also might have thought of establishing an alibi were fed by his avoidance of lighted homes and an open fire station as he walked back to the cottage after the accident, by his swim back to Edgartown and his encounter with the innkeeper to ask what time it was, by his return to Chappaquiddick the next morning and by Markham's statement to the ferry operator then that "we just heard about" the accident. Kennedy concluded with an appeal to the people of Massachusetts to decide whether or not his standing had been so impaired that he should resign his Senate seat. Newberg said, "Yes. On reaching the Chappaquiddick shore the three entered the small ferry shed on the landing where a public telephone hung on the wall. "Gee," Look told him, "that is the ssame car saw last night.". At the same time he sent for an Edgartown scuba diver and member of the Volunteer Fire Department, John Farrar. [121] Nance Lyons stated in a 2008 interview that the women present at Chappaquiddick had suffered both professionally and personally.[122]. . [9][93] The Kopechnes later explained their decision not to take legal action by saying, "We figured that people would think we were looking for blood money. There was one passenger with me, one Miss Mary___,[Notes 7] a former secretary of my brother Sen. Robert Kennedy. It was after the conference in the ferry shed, after whatever telephone calls may have been made there, that Ted Kennedy decided there was no alternative left but to go to the police. All rights reserved. A: Very definitely. After his car skidded off the bridge into Poucha Pond, Kennedy swam free, and maintained he tried to rescue Kopechne from the submerged car, but he could not. [30], Farrar believed that Kopechne "lived for at least two hours down there. The basic story begins the evening of July 18, when Kennedy hosted a party at a cottage on Chappaquiddick Island that included male friends of Kennedy’s and six women who were part of a group called the Boiler Room Girls, because of the windowless room they worked in during Bobby Kennedy’s presidential campaign. The poll surveyed 500 likely voters in the state on November 1 and found that 49 percent said they’ll support Perdue compared with just under 47 percent for ... During her Supreme Court confirmation hearings, Judge Amy Coney Barrett revealed her empty notepad to Sen. John Cornyn (R., Texas).

[29] His route back took him past four houses from which he could have telephoned to summon help before he reached the cottage, but he did not attempt to contact the local residents. It is remotely possible that if a rescue team had arrived within half an hour, Mary Jo might have lived. “I think if Bobby had been elected president she would’ve been a White House adviser,” Lopez says. Then he had gone to the police station. All rights reserved. I remember walking around for a period of time and then going back to my hotel room.”. [97] Although Olsen denied having ever talked to Flynn, he related this theory in his book. And when he did run in 1980, his candidacy went nowhere after Kennedy was famously unable to answer why he wanted to be president. Possibly they later borrowed one of the many skiffs tied up at the dock and rowed across themselves. [13] Gargan rented secluded Lawrence Cottage for the weekend on Chappaquiddick Island,[14] which is a tiny island accessible by ferry from Edgartown on Martha's Vineyard. He denied he engaged in any "immoral conduct" with Kopechne or driving under the influence of alcohol that evening. Markham and Crimmins intended to spend the night at the cottage, while the other men had rooms at the Shiretown Inn one block from the Edgartown ferry slip, and the women had rooms at the Katama Shores motor inn about 2 miles (3.2 km) south of the ferry slip. [39][Notes 2], Meanwhile, Kennedy, Gargan, and Markham crossed back to Chappaquiddick Island on the ferry, where Kennedy made a series of telephone calls from a pay phone near the ferry crossing—the same phone that the three men had stood by approximately six hours earlier discussing Kennedy's options. Meanwhile, a diver recovered Kopechne's body from Kennedy's car shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday.

In making it I seek your prayers. [45], As the Medical Examiner Dr. Robert Nevin had the day off, Associate Medical Examiner Dr. Donald Mills was called to the crash site to examine the body. “The worst kind of myth to put forth about her.”. 0000014838 00000 n Choose the plan that's right for you.